It is really fun having your own pool but, at the same time, it can represent a big chore. In order to swim in a clean pool, you will have to use various chemicals that will eliminate microbes. The most important one is chlorine.
Chlorination is a crucial maintenance process that needs to be performed from time to time. By using this special chemical product, you are able to eliminate bacteria. But, chlorination comes with its own risk. Given the volatility of this substance, it can pose a great health hazard if used improperly. In some cases, it can even lead to fire and explosion.
Here are some basic safety tips that you need to follow when using chlorine:
- Do not breathe in the fumes
- Do not consume the substance
- Do not touch chlorine with your bare hands
- Do not mix chlorine with other substances
- Do not mix different types of chlorine
Here are some basic tips instructions that will help you store it:
- Keep it away from children
- Keep it away from pets
- Keep it away from other substances that may be combustible or in some way represent a fire hazard
- Keep it in its original casing
- Follow all the other manufacturer’s instructions
Even with all the precautionary measures, accidents may happen. If you follow these instructions, you are addressing only a part of the issue. The other potential problem is swimming in a pool that has traces of this substance. This is why you have to wait for some time for chlorine to dissolve.
Here are the potential health issues that you may experience after swimming in a pool with chlorine:
- Skin irritation which may lead to various skin problems
- Chlorine has a strong impact on mucous membrane, leading to eye irritation
- It can also have a negative impact on the respiratory system, in some cases even leading to asthma
- Chlorine can be absorbed through skin leading to a long term health hazard
- Bleaches your hair
As we previously said, chlorination is the necessary process that will help us get rid of all these nasty microorganisms. But, there is one additional thing that needs to be considered. When we put this substance into a pool, we also have to make sure that water has an appropriate pH level. If this level is higher or lower than necessary, it can affect our skin and mucous membrane leading to irritation. At the same time, if the pH level is not regulated, microbes may persist regardless of chlorination.
Instructions for chlorination
After learning all the risks and how to protect yourself, you are ready to chlorinate your pool.
When purchasing a chlorine product, take a sample of your pool water to the dealer. Based on the water’s acidity, dealer will recommend just the thing for your pool.
When you get home, take a bucket or something similar that can be filled with a mixture of water and chlorine. First, set aside the necessary amount of chlorine product. Now, put it in a bucket and add water. Stir it for a bit until granules dissolve.
Start walking around the pool edge, pouring chlorine mixture as you go. Make sure to distribute it equally. After that, you should leave it for a couple of hours. There will be some chlorine residue at the bottom of the pool. You can easily vacuum it later on.
Following these instructions, you are ensuring safety of your family. Like any other chemical, chlorine can be very dangerous. This is why you need to be careful each time you use it.